Sunday, November 25, 2012

Read the following answers by a candidate in a job interview to two different questions from an interviewer on 'Why do you want to work for us?' and 'What makes you suitable for this position?'. Focus on the words/phrases in BOLD and think about their meaning. 

Interviewer:
'Why do you want to work for us?'
Candidate:
'Well, first of all, I have been impressed with everything I have read and heard, from both the interview and what colleagues and friends have told me. Your company has a very good reputation in the industry. Not only for its products, but also its working culture. From what I have heard here, it is a company that recognises and rewards talent. And I believe that in such an environment I will thrive. Your company is also a market leader in the industry. And with what you have told me about the planned expansion and diversification of the company, I feel that it provides people who have the right motivation and ambition, the opportunity to excel and progress.'
Interviewer:
'So, what makes you suitable for this position?'
Candidate:
'I feel I possess all the requirements and experience for the position. First of all, I have worked for over 5 years in a similar position, where I have exceeded all my targets year after year. Also, I am fully up to speed with all the industry standards and work practices that you use here. So, if I was selected for the vacancy, I could hit the ground running. I am also very adaptive and can pick up things very quickly. As I showed when the company I am currently working for, was bought out 3 years ago.'

'On a personal level, I feel I have the determination or drive which is fundamental for a position like this. This has been demonstrated with the promotions I have achieved throughout my career. In addition, having worked in the same company for over 5 years, it shows that I am committed. I also have the soft skills which a manager needs to have with both the people who report to him and clients. For example, I am an excellent communicator, but I can also listen.'

No comments:

Post a Comment